Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Going to the Doctor

Later this afternoon DH and I have an appointment with our doctor at the fertility clinic. Hopefully he will be able to provide some answers as to why I miscarried and if we can transfer the remaining frozen embryos. I assume that he will say that he doesn't know why I miscarried and that these things sometimes happen, and that we can try again. We have five frosties left and we usually lose two when they are thawed, so that leaves three. I am hoping we can transfer three, but I'm afraid that we won't be allowed to do this as our doctor is board certified and is against transferring more than two at a time. He always cites the danger of multiple births, but so far my record shows that only one embryo implants when we have two transferred...I have no idea why this happens.

I also want to ask the doctor whether the mercury in my fillings may have caused the miscarriage, or maybe the new skin cream I started using a few days before the loss happened may have affected the pregnancy. My mind is full of irrational thoughts like these. It would be so much easier if there were a tangible cause that I could point a finger at instead of the 'we don't know what causes most miscarriages' line.

On the in-laws visit front, reportedly they are coming mid-April but they haven't bought tickets. Of course, as luck would have it, the date they want to visit overlaps with a business trip DH has on the other side of the continent. Hope he explains this to them since I would assume they want to spend time with their son. God give me strengthe. At least I know that I definitely do not want to be on hormones when my MIL is in town.

As for our weekend away, it was lovely and very relaxing. So wonderful to be in the 'woods' with no sound -- except the noisy neighbours in their hot tub. We really enjoyed the wood fireplace, which made us realize that we need a fireplace in the next place we live in the future.

3 comments:

maxandzuzu said...

Irrational thoughts and IF seem to go hand in hand. It's funny, I stayed away from caffeine, alcohol, over the counter meds... and still no BFP. After a serious year's worth of IVFs and IUIs I became exhausted. I'm feeling at this point that I'm getting ready to throw in the towel. If I could afford DEs I probably would try that. With the DH back in school it's out of the question right now.

Your doctor should let you put in as many as you want at this point. But I know they are funny about these things.

Hope your appt. went well. Glad to hear the weekend was a smash. Fireplaces are a pain to have cleaned but they are nice.

T

musicmakermomma said...

Glad you had a nice weekend. Hope the appt was good and he had more to say than "I don't know, sometimes this happens"...

Good luck

HopeBPatient said...

isn't it just so frustrating when there are no answers to our questions about why this or that happened with IF? I rant at my husband about this - that doctors should have the answer, dangit! (and of course, he looooves this, because he's a doctor ;-)

Anyhow, I hope your appointment went well and you got some resolution to your questions/plans.